Author: Wilmar Patino
This Saturday night Gennady Golovkin 35-0 (32KO’s) will be defending his WBC, IBF, and IBO Championship belts versus the current #1 rated IBF welterweight champion, Kell Brook 36-0 (25KO’s). The fight will be broadcasted live by Sky Sports Box Office and HBO beginning at 7:00 PM in the UK and 5:30 PM ET/PT for fans watching in the US. The championship bout will be taking place at the 02 Arena in London, and should be packed with 20,000 screaming fans ready to see a big drama show. The arena sold out in 11 minutes as fans from the UK are eager to see Kell “The Special One” Brook take on Gennady “GGG” Golovkin. Listed in this article are some of the facts behind the matchup:
- Gennady Golovkin enters the ring with a KO streak of 22. An incredible streak that started back in 2008 when Golovkin stopped Malik Dziarra.
- Kell Brook, a career welterweight, will be jumping up 2 weight classes to challenge Golovkin for the middleweight championship of the world.
- The WBC, IBF, and IBO middleweight championship is on the line. Golovkin’s WBA championship belt is not at stake as the WBA declined to sanction this fight.
- Kell Brook’s IBF welterweight championship is NOT on the line, as this is a middleweight championship fight and Kell Brook retains his IBF welterweight strap, win or lose.
- Gennady Golovkin vs Kell Brook will be at the full 160lbs limit with no rehydration clause. (Although the IBF has a 2nd day weigh in, and a rehydration limit of 10 lbs over the weight limit)
- Both men enter the ring undefeated and view each other as their biggest test to date.
- Gennady Golovkin enters the fight with the highest KO percentage for a champion in middleweight history (91%).
- Kell Brook weighed more than Golovkin at the 7 day weigh in. Brook weighed 167.8 lbs as opposed to Gennady Golovkin who weighed in at 162.9 lbs
- The main event and co-feature of the evening consist of 4 fighters with a combined record of 151 wins, 0 losses, and 122 KO’s.
- Sky Sports Box will be charging £16.95 for those tuning in while those watching in the US will watch it free through HBO subscription.
As fight night approaches and fans get filled with anticipation there are a few things to look forward to. Golovkin vs Brook is a triple header with the mouthwatering clash between Roman “Chocolatito” Gonzalez, 45-0 (38KO’s) stepping up in weight to face WBC super flyweight champion Carlos Cuadras 35-0-1 (27KO’s) as the co-feature. Alongside Jesus Soto Karass 28-10-4 (18KO’s) in a rematch vs his rival Yoshihiro Kamegai 26-3-1 (23KO’s) on the undercard. When you take all this into account, you have a full night of action packed Boxing and intriguing matchups. Fans will be in for a treat in an all but guaranteed great night of World Championship Boxing.